Sunday, March 15, 2009

Beautiful day!

Beautiful day outdoors today!

I spread around some alfalfa and kelp meal. I put out some grass seed, too, but I'm starting to think it might have been a bit early. I hope the birds don't eat it all. I also cleaned up excess mulch around the garden. I need to order compost soon!

My crocuses are blooming in startling profusion! I even saw a bee outside today. I can't imagine that it was a honey bee, but it sure looked like one.

I set out my seedlings to harden off for about an hour today. They distinctly resented it. I've watered them with "bio-tone" which is supposed to contain beneficial root microbes. I hope it helps. I also sprayed them with a weak (0.5%) solution of Kelp fertilizer. That's also supposed to help with root growth. I want to get my winter crops put out soon!

Tomorrow is the first hearing for the Hen Warrant, to allow hen-keeping in Arlington. Eeep! Speaking in public makes me nervous. At least I've practiced.

I can't wait for spring!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Good luck at the hen peck, errr meeting. I think lots of city council members are going to start changing their minds on this subject as they too will want hens soon. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.-Heather

Gardeness said...

Sounds like you've been busy. Look forward to seeing all those plants. Good luck at the meeting. How could anyone not want hens!

Daphne Gould said...

I set my seedlings out for an hour and a half yesterday too. The onions seemed to like it but the lettuce wasn't pleased to be introduced to the real world.

Good luck with your meeting tonight.

Pam said...

Thanks for all the well wishes! For some reason people think that the Chickenpocalypse is coming. Hopefully I can educate them a little bit.

Yay for warmer weather!