Sunday, March 8, 2009

Let the gardening commence!

Spring is finally here, hooray!  Today my "little sister" from the Big Sisters program came over and we planted my first seeds of the season - PEAS!  She also wanted to look under all the rocks for snakes.  Apparently she talked her grandfather into buying her a corn snake, much to her mother's dismay, and wanted to find a friend for it.  So cute!

I have flowers blooming!!!!

Snowdrops:





















Crocus:
















Witch hazel:





















I even found a fly busy drinking nectar and pollinating the witch hazel!





















And I also got my new Mason Bee house set up.  I got it from Knox Cellars.  Native pollinators, your hotel is open!
















Just in case the native bees can't find me, I got a few starter bees.  They're still sleeping in the fridge.  My husband thinks it's hilarious that they're in with the butter dish.


And finally I pruned, pruned, pruned.  All of last year's dead stalks have been cut down, and the roses have been cut back.  I left any stalks with seeds still attached laying on the ground, but the rest went into the compost bin!  

Now, I just have to wait for the aparagus!!!

2 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

I love the bee house. I would so like one of those.

Pam said...

Hey Daphne! The mason bee starter kit wasn't that much... and even comes with bees in the fall! last year I had a very flimsy thing, but even so I got a few leaf cutter bees. I think the woodpecker discovered them, though.